Unraveling the Role of CeO2 in Stabilization of Multivalent Mn Species on α-MnO2/Mn3O4/CeO2/C Surface for Enhanced Electrocatalysis
- Bhugendra ChutiaBhugendra ChutiaDepartment of Chemical Sciences, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam 784 028, IndiaMore by Bhugendra Chutia,
- Nayab HussainNayab HussainDepartment of Chemical Sciences, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam 784 028, IndiaMore by Nayab Hussain,
- Panchanan PuzariPanchanan PuzariDepartment of Chemical Sciences, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam 784 028, IndiaMore by Panchanan Puzari,
- Deshetti Jampaiah ,
- Suresh K. Bhargava ,
- Ekaterina V. MatusEkaterina V. MatusBoreskov Institute of Catalysis, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, RussiaMore by Ekaterina V. Matus,
- Ilyas Z. IsmagilovIlyas Z. IsmagilovBoreskov Institute of Catalysis, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, RussiaMore by Ilyas Z. Ismagilov,
- Mikhail KerzhentsevMikhail KerzhentsevBoreskov Institute of Catalysis, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk 630090, RussiaMore by Mikhail Kerzhentsev, and
- Pankaj Bharali*
A hybrid heteronanostructure of α-MnO2/Mn3O4/CeO2 with the atomic-level coupled nanointerface entrenched in Vulcan carbon is reported and explored for the oxygen reduction reaction (ORR) and the oxygen evolution reaction (OER). CeO2 plays an essential role in increasing the surface Mn2+/3+/4+ in α-MnO2/Mn3O4/CeO2/C for ORR/OER processes. It shows enhanced bifunctional activity, superior to that of the benchmark 20 wt % Pt/C and Pd/C catalysts. It displays an ORR onset potential of −0.13 V (vs Ag/AgCl), limiting current density of −6.63 mA cm–2 (at 1600 rpm), mass-specific current of 47.6 mA mgMO–1 with a lower Tafel slope (921.9 mV dec–1), and an inclusive 4-e transfer involved in ORR. The OER onset potential and current density are 0.58 V (vs Ag/AgCl) and 8.45 mA cm–2 (at 0.8 V). The unique hybrid structure with oxide–oxide interface in α-MnO2/Mn3O4/CeO2 is correlated to explain the mechanistic pathway. Multistate Mn(II/III/IV) and Ce(III/IV) synergistically influence in tendering superior activity with enhanced stability.
This article is cited by 1 publications.
- Chiranjita Goswami, Kumar Kashyap Hazarika, Yusuke Yamada, Pankaj Bharali. Nonprecious Hybrid Metal Oxide for Bifunctional Oxygen Electrodes: Endorsing the Role of Interfaces in Electrocatalytic Enhancement. Energy & Fuels 2021, 35 (16) , 13370-13381. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.1c01388