Coexposure Degradation of Purine Derivatives in the Sulfate Radical-Mediated Oxidation Process
- Shuangshuang ChengShuangshuang ChengSchool of Environmental Science and Engineering, Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Environmental Pollution Control and Remediation Technology, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510275, ChinaMore by Shuangshuang Cheng,
- Yu LeiYu LeiSchool of Environmental Science and Engineering, Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Environmental Pollution Control and Remediation Technology, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510275, ChinaMore by Yu Lei,
- Xin LeiXin LeiSchool of Environmental Science and Engineering, Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Environmental Pollution Control and Remediation Technology, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510275, ChinaMore by Xin Lei,
- Yanheng PanYanheng PanMore by Yanheng Pan,
- Yunho Lee , and
- Xin Yang*Xin Yang*E-mail: [email protected]. Phone: +86-2039332690.More by Xin Yang
Purines are the most widely occurring heterocyclic-N compounds. The degradation behaviors of purine derivatives, theophylline (TPL) and adenine (ADN) as representatives, in both single-component and mixture systems during UV/peroxydisulfate (PDS) treatment were explored. In the mixture system when the concentrations of SO4•– and HO• were reduced by more than half in comparison to a single-component system, the observed first-order rate constant of TPL was reduced by 11%, whereas ADN degradation was almost completely inhibited. An ADN “revert” pathway, that is, back transformation of ADN(−H)• to ADN by TPL via single electron-transfer reactions, was found. The second-order rate constant of ADN(−H)• with TPL was determined to be (1.94 ± 0.21) × 108 M–1 s–1. A kinetic model was developed, which successfully quantifies the contribution of each reaction pathway at various target compound concentrations. In the copresence of 0.1 μM TPL, 58% ADN (3.0 μM) was reduced back to ADN at the PDS dose of 290 μM. The ADN revert pathway’s effectiveness is governed by the relative reduction potentials of the reactants. Purines and phenols with lower reduction potentials are able to react via the ADN revert pathway. These findings improve the understanding of the removal of mixture pollutants from real water media in advanced oxidation processes.
This article is cited by 8 publications.
- Shuangshuang Cheng, Yujie Zhao, Yanheng Pan, Jinpeng Yu, Yu Lei, Xin Lei, Gangfeng Ouyang, Xin Yang. Role of Antioxidant Moieties in the Quenching of a Purine Radical by Dissolved Organic Matter. Environmental Science & Technology 2021, Article ASAP.
- Yangjian Zhou, Yang Wu, Yu Lei, Yanheng Pan, Shuangshuang Cheng, Gangfeng Ouyang, Xin Yang. Redox-Active Moieties in Dissolved Organic Matter Accelerate the Degradation of Nitroimidazoles in SO4•–-Based Oxidation. Environmental Science & Technology 2021, 55 (21) , 14844-14853. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.1c04238
- Yu Lei, Xin Lei, Yafei Yu, Kaize Li, Zhe Li, Shuangshuang Cheng, Gangfeng Ouyang, Xin Yang. Rate Constants and Mechanisms for Reactions of Bromine Radicals with Trace Organic Contaminants. Environmental Science & Technology 2021, 55 (15) , 10502-10513. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.1c02313
- Frank Leresche, Lucie Ludvíková, Dominik Heger, Urs von Gunten, Silvio Canonica. Quenching of an Aniline Radical Cation by Dissolved Organic Matter and Phenols: A Laser Flash Photolysis Study. Environmental Science & Technology 2020, 54 (23) , 15057-15065. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c05230
- Zheng-Yu Dong, Bin Xu, Chen-Yan Hu, Tian-Yang Zhang, Yu-Lin Tang, Yang Pan, Mohamed Gamal El-Din, Qi-Ming Xian, Nai-Yun Gao. The application of UV-C laser in persulfate activation for micropollutant removal: Case study with iodinated X-ray contrast medias. Science of The Total Environment 2021, 779 , 146340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.146340
- Xin Lei, Yu Lei, Xinran Zhang, Xin Yang. Treating disinfection byproducts with UV or solar irradiation and in UV advanced oxidation processes: A review. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2021, 408 , 124435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.124435
- Huiyu Dong, Shule Duan, Lingfei Li, Zhimin Qiang. Sulfate radical-based advanced oxidation processes for industrial wastewater treatment. 2021,,, 431-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-823031-2.00017-3
- Yu Wang, Tao Pan, Yafei Yu, Yang Wu, Yanheng Pan, Xin Yang. A novel peroxymonosulfate (PMS)-enhanced iron coagulation process for simultaneous removal of trace organic pollutants in water. Water Research 2020, 185 , 116136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2020.116136