Control of Methylene Blue Photo-Oxidation Rate over Polycrystalline Anatase TiO2 Thin Films via Carrier Concentration
Reaction rates on photocatalytic surfaces would often benefit greatly if minority photocarriers could be driven more efficiently to the surface through the manipulation of electric fields within the semiconductor. Such field-induced manipulation of photocurrent is commonplace in conventional optoelectronics, but translation to photochemistry and photoelectrochemistry has lagged. The present work demonstrates quantitatively that manipulation of the spatial extent of band-bending via background carrier concentration can increase photoreaction rates by a factor of 5 or more in the case of methylene blue photodegradation over thin-film polycrystalline anatase TiO2. A quantitative photocurrent model fits closely to experimental rate data with no adjustable parameters.
This article is cited by 11 publications.
- Vinicius R. Gonçales, Jiaxin Lian, Shreedhar Gautam, Daniel Hagness, Ying Yang, Richard D. Tilley, Simone Ciampi, J. Justin Gooding. Heterojunctions Based on Amorphous Silicon: A Versatile Surface Engineering Strategy To Tune Peak Position of Redox Monolayers on Photoelectrodes. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2020, 124 (1) , 836-844. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b11252
- Navaneetha K. Nandakumar, Edmund G. Seebauer. Manipulating Reaction Rates of Metal-Oxide Heterogeneous Catalysts via Semiconductor Heterojunctions. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2018, 122 (29) , 16655-16663. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b00712
- D. Eitan Barlaz, Edmund G. Seebauer. Photocarrier Transport Mechanisms in Amorphous and Epitaxial TiO2/SrRuO3 Heterojunction Photocatalysts. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2018, 122 (27) , 15688-15695. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b12659
- G. T. Kasun Kalhara Gunasooriya, Edmund G. Seebauer, and Mark Saeys . Ethylene Hydrogenation over Pt/TiO2: A Charge-Sensitive Reaction. ACS Catalysis 2017, 7 (3) , 1966-1970. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.6b02906
- Navaneetha K. Nandakumar and Edmund G. Seebauer . Manipulating Surface Potentials of Metal Oxides Using Semiconductor Heterojunctions. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2016, 120 (10) , 5486-5494. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b11657
- S. W. Daniel Ong, Jianyi Lin, and Edmund G. Seebauer . Control of Photoactivity over Polycrystalline Anatase TiO2 Thin Films via Surface Potential. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2015, 119 (48) , 27060-27071. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b09272
- Kandis Leslie Gilliard-AbdulAziz, Edmund G. Seebauer. Elucidating the reaction and diffusion network of oxygen interstitial atoms near a TiO2(1 1 0) surface. Applied Surface Science 2019, 470 , 854-860. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.11.123
- Sulakshana Mondal, Durga Basak. Very high photoresponse towards low-powered UV light under low-biased condition by nanocrystal assembled TiO2 film. Applied Surface Science 2018, 427 , 814-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.08.037
- Govini Thanthrige Kasun Kalhara Gunasooriya, Mark Saeys. Tuning the Activity of Supported Nanoparticles Through Charge Transfer. 2017,,, 209-224. https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527699827.ch9
- Ming Li, Edmund G. Seebauer. Defect engineering in semiconducting oxides: Control of ZnO surface potential via temperature and oxygen pressure. AIChE Journal 2016, 62 (2) , 500-507. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.15031
- Mahardika Prasetya Aji, Pradita Ajeng Wiguna, Susanto, Nita Rosita, Siti Aisyah Suciningtyas, Sulhadi. Performance of photocatalyst based carbon nanodots from waste frying oil in water purification. 2016,,, 020001. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4945455