Unravelling the Role of Structural Geometry and Chemical State of Well-Defined Oxygen Vacancies on Pristine CeO2 for H2O2 Activation
- Zicong TanZicong TanDepartment of Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, ChinaMore by Zicong Tan,
- Jieru ZhangJieru ZhangDepartment of Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, ChinaMore by Jieru Zhang,
- Yu-Cheng ChenYu-Cheng ChenDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, ChinaMore by Yu-Cheng Chen,
- Jyh-Pin ChouJyh-Pin ChouDepartment of Physics, National Changhua University of Education, Changhua 500, TaiwanMore by Jyh-Pin Chou, and
- Yung-Kang Peng*
Although H2O2 has been often employed as a green oxidant for many CeO2-catalyzed reactions, the underlying principle of its activation by surface oxygen vacancy (Vo) is still elusive due to the irreversible removal of postgenerated Vo by water (or H2O2). The metastable Vo (ms-Vo) naturally preserved on pristine CeO2 surfaces was adopted herein for an in-depth study of their interplay with H2O2. Their well-defined local structures and chemical states were found facet-dependent affecting both the adsorption and subsequent activation of H2O2. It is concluded that a strong adsorption of H2O2 on ms-Vo may not guarantee its subsequent activation. The ms-Vo can be only free for the next catalytic cycle when the electron density of surface Ce is high enough to reduce/break the O–O bond of adsorbed H2O2. This explains the 211.8 and 35.8 times enhancement in H2O2 reactivity when the CeO2 surface is changed from (111) and (110) to (100).
This article is cited by 9 publications.
- Bo Yuan, Hung-Lung Chou, Yung-Kang Peng. Disclosing the Origin of Transition Metal Oxides as Peroxidase (and Catalase) Mimetics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2021, Article ASAP.
- Xinyu Wang, Ye Jin, Weirui Chen, Ruini Zou, Jinxin Xie, Yiming Tang, Xukai Li, Laisheng Li. Electro-catalytic activity of CeOx modified graphite felt for carbamazepine degradation via E-peroxone process. Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering 2021, 15 (6) https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-021-1410-x
- Jieru Zhang, Tai‐Sing Wu, Ho Viet Thang, Kai‐Yu Tseng, Xiaodong Hao, Bingshe Xu, Hsin‐Yi Tiffany Chen, Yung‐Kang Peng. Cluster Nanozymes with Optimized Reactivity and Utilization of Active Sites for Effective Peroxidase (and Oxidase) Mimicking. Small 2021, 13 , 2104844. https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.202104844
- Weirui Chen, Hengxi He, Ruini Zou, Yidan Chen, Xukai Li, Jing Wang, Yiming Tang, Laisheng Li. Unravelling the facets-dependent behavior among H 2 O 2 , O 3 and oxygen vacancies on CeO x and the promotion of peroxone reaction at under acidic conditions. Environmental Science: Nano 2021, 8 (11) , 3138-3152. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1EN00716E
- Sujay Shekar G. C., Khaled Alkanad, Abdo Hezam, Ali Alsalme, Nabil Al-Zaqri, Lokanath N. K.. Enhanced photo-Fenton activity over a sunlight-driven ignition synthesized α-Fe2O3-Fe3O4/CeO2 heterojunction catalyst enriched with oxygen vacancies. Journal of Molecular Liquids 2021, 335 , 116186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2021.116186
- Ruyi Xiao, Yuanyuan Zhang, Shuangfei Wang, Hongxiang Zhu, Hainong Song, Guoning Chen, Hongfei Lin, Jian Zhang, Jianhua Xiong. Prussian blue modified CeO2 as a heterogeneous photo-Fenton-like catalyst for degradation of norfloxacin in water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 2021, 166 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-15498-7
- Wenjing Zhang, Zhiye Lin, Hanxiao Li, Fang Wang, Yujie Wen, Meng Xu, Yang Wang, Xiaokang Ke, Xifeng Xia, Junchao Chen, Luming Peng. Surface acidity of tin dioxide nanomaterials revealed with 31 P solid-state NMR spectroscopy and DFT calculations. RSC Advances 2021, 11 (40) , 25004-25009. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1RA02782D
- Chunming Yang, Yuxuan Lu, Le Zhang, Zhijie Kong, Tianyi Yang, Yuqin Zou, Shuangyin Wang. Defect Engineering on CeO 2 ‐based Catalysts for Heterogeneous Catalytic Applications. Small Structures 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/sstr.202100058
- Xiaodong Hao, Shuai Zhang, Yang Xu, Liangyu Tang, Kazutoshi Inoue, Mitsuhiro Saito, Shufang Ma, Chunlin Chen, Bingshe Xu, Tadafumi Adschiri, Yuichi Ikuhara. Surfactant-mediated morphology evolution and self-assembly of cerium oxide nanocrystals for catalytic and supercapacitor applications. Nanoscale 2021, 13 (23) , 10393-10401. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1NR01746B