Silicon Surface Passivation by Laser Processing a Sol–Gel TiOx Thin Film
- Zeming SunZeming SunCharles L. Brown Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, United StatesMore by Zeming Sun,
- Xiaoyu DengXiaoyu DengDepartment of Chemical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, United StatesMore by Xiaoyu Deng,
- Joshua J. Choi , and
- Mool C. Gupta*
Silicon surface passivation is highly important for solar cells and other optoelectronic devices. In order to achieve a high-performance, low-cost, room-temperature, and nonvacuum surface passivation, we investigated laser processing of sol–gel TiOx films on n-type semiconductor silicon. We achieved an effective lifetime of 1.11 ms and surface recombination velocity SRV = 6.25 cm/s using 60 nm thin TiOx film and laser fluence value near the silicon melting point (1.19 J/cm2). Through structural and electrical analysis, we provide the mechanism of laser processing for achieving excellent surface passivation. We found that laser processing can induce chemical passivation in addition to the intrinsic field effect passivation and can accelerate the sol–gel reaction while maintaining a high-purity TiOx film. Moreover, the optical reflection and refractive index measurements were carried out, and results show that our laser-processed TiOx films can function as antireflection layer and provide excellent passivation simultaneously.
This article is cited by 3 publications.
- Wensheng Liang, Jingnan Tong, Parvathala Narangari, Stephane Armand, Teng Choon Kho, Marco Ernst, Daniel Walter, Sachin R. Surve, Keith Reid McIntosh, Matthew Stocks, Klaus J. Weber, Andrew Blakers, Kean Chern Fong. Impact of Al Doping on Surface Passivation of TiO x on Si. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 2020, 10 (4) , 940-944. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2020.2982169
- Zeming Sun, Mool C. Gupta. A study of laser-induced surface defects in silicon and impact on electrical properties. Journal of Applied Physics 2018, 124 (22) , 223103. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5058143
- Zeming Sun, Mool C. Gupta. Laser processing of silicon for photovoltaics and structural phase transformation. Applied Surface Science 2018, 456 , 342-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.06.092