Atomic Layer Deposition of Nanometer-Sized CeO2 Layers in Ordered Mesoporous ZrO2 Films and Their Impact on the Ionic/Electronic Conductivity
- Pascal CopPascal CopPhysikalisch-Chemisches Institut, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 17, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyCenter for Materials Research, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 16, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyMore by Pascal Cop,
- Erdogan CelikErdogan CelikCenter for Materials Research, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 16, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyMore by Erdogan Celik,
- Kevin HessKevin HessPhysikalisch-Chemisches Institut, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 17, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyCenter for Materials Research, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 16, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyMore by Kevin Hess,
- Yannik MorysonYannik MorysonPhysikalisch-Chemisches Institut, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 17, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyMore by Yannik Moryson,
- Philip Klement ,
- Matthias T. Elm*Matthias T. Elm*Email: [email protected]Institute of Experimental Physics I, Justus-Liebig University, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 16, D-35392 Giessen, GermanyMore by Matthias T. Elm, and
- Bernd M. Smarsly*Bernd M. Smarsly*Email: [email protected]More by Bernd M. Smarsly
The physicochemical properties of thin metal oxide layers strongly depend on the layer thickness and thus differ significantly from their bulk counterpart. In this work, we present the growth of defined thin layers of CeO2 within mesostructured ZrO2 thin films using atomic layer deposition (ALD). The prepared films consist of a cubic ordered arrangement of 15 nm spherical mesopores induced by the used diblock copolymer poly(isobutylene)-block-poly(ethylene oxide) (PIB50-b-PEO45), which allows studying the growth process and the successful coating of the interior pore surfaces via the combination of scanning electron microscopy (SEM), time-of-flight mass spectrometry (ToF-SIMS), and laser ellipsometry. These methods prove the CeO2 layer growth and impregnation of the pores up to 100 ALD cycles, at which the interconnecting channels between the mesopore layers are filled completely impeding further transport of the gaseous CeO2 precursors. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and diffractometry (XRD) measurements point out the increased amount of Ce3+ after a low number of ALD cycles and show the presence of cubic CeO2 with increasing amount of ALD cycles, respectively. Impedance spectroscopic investigation further proves the formation of a continuous CeO2 path through the entire porous network of the insulating ZrO2 film and shows a strong influence of the layer thickness on the conductivity. All in all, our work presents the preparation of novel hybrid CeO2/ZrO2 model systems, which enable us to tailor their physicochemical properties by changing the thickness of the active oxide layer, and promises improvements for their use as catalysts in oxidation reactions such as the HCl oxidation reaction or as a three-way catalytic converter in automotives.
This article is cited by 4 publications.
- Teresa Gatti, Francesco Lamberti, Raffaello Mazzaro, Ilka Kriegel, Derck Schlettwein, Francesco Enrichi, Nicolò Lago, Eleonora Di Maria, Gaudenzio Meneghesso, Alberto Vomiero, Silvia Gross. Opportunities from Doping of Non‐Critical Metal Oxides in Last Generation Light‐Conversion Devices. Advanced Energy Materials 2021, 11 (31) , 2101041. https://doi.org/10.1002/aenm.202101041
- Erdogan Celik, Yanjiao Ma, Torsten Brezesinski, Matthias T. Elm. Ordered mesoporous metal oxides for electrochemical applications: correlation between structure, electrical properties and device performance. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2021, 23 (18) , 10706-10735. https://doi.org/10.1039/D1CP00834J
- Hendrik Hemmelmann, Julius K. Dinter, Matthias T. Elm. Thin Film NCM Cathodes as Model Systems to Assess the Influence of Coating Layers on the Electrochemical Performance of Lithium Ion Batteries. Advanced Materials Interfaces 2021, 8 (9) , 2002074. https://doi.org/10.1002/admi.202002074
- Rajendra S. Negi, Sean P. Culver, Miguel Wiche, Shamail Ahmed, Kerstin Volz, Matthias T. Elm. Optimized atomic layer deposition of homogeneous, conductive Al 2 O 3 coatings for high-nickel NCM containing ready-to-use electrodes. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2021, 23 (11) , 6725-6737. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CP06422J