TiO2 Nanotube Arrays Formed on Ti Meshes with Periodically Arranged Holes for Flexible Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
- Daibing Luo ,
- Baoshun Liu ,
- Akira FujishimaAkira FujishimaPhotocatalysis International Research Center, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, JapanMore by Akira Fujishima, and
- Kazuya Nakata*Kazuya Nakata*E-mail [email protected]Photocatalysis International Research Center, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, JapanGraduate School of Bio-Applications and Systems Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-0012, JapanMore by Kazuya Nakata
Vertically oriented TiO2 nanotubes (VOTNs) were prepared on Ti mesh substrates with periodically arranged holes by electrochemical anodization, which were then used as the photoanodes for flexible dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) fabrication. The VOTNs were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). The effects of the anodization on the physical features of the VOTNs, such as nanotube diameter, wall thickness, and nanotube length, were studied in detail. The Ti mesh is an ideal candidate for DSSC substrates due to its highly bending ability under external force. The photo-to-electric conversion efficiency (η) of the mesh-VOTN-based DSSCs is dependent on the TiO2 nanotube length, which can achieve an efficiency of 2.66% at 100 mW cm–2 under AM 1.5 simulated full light when the nanotube length is ∼18 μm. The DSSC performance dependence on the Ti mesh geometry and the incident angle of the illuminated light were characterized by current density vs voltage (I–V) measurements. The DSSC efficiency is also in close relation to the incident angle of the incoming light, which slowly decreases as the incident angle increases from 0 to 90° but does not decrease much even under 30° bending. The excellent transparency and bendability subjected to external force make this kind of flexible VOTN-based DSSC show great potential in the future energy applications.
This article is cited by 9 publications.
- Falak Babar, Umer Mehmood, Rabia Nazar, Yasir Qayyum Gill, Hamza Khalid, Noor ul Huda, Zaira Fatima. Hydrothermal Synthesis of TiO2 Nanotubes and Preparation of Paste Using Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) as a Binder for The Photoanode of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs). Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 2021, 222 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-021-06362-4
- Xiaojie Yang, Li Zhao, Shimin Wang, Jin Li, Bo Chi. Recent progress of g-C3N4 applied in solar cells. Journal of Materiomics 2021, 7 (4) , 728-741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmat.2021.01.004
- Jeong Min Lim, Juyoung Moon, Jong Hak Kim, Chang Oh Lee, Won Seok Chi, Jung Tae Park. One-dimensional SnO2 nanotube solid-state electrolyte for fast electron transport and high light harvesting in solar energy conversion. Solid State Ionics 2021, 363 , 115584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2021.115584
- Saber Ghannadi, Hossein Abdizadeh, Amirhossein Rakhsha, Mohammad Reza Golobostanfard. Sol-electrophoretic deposition of TiO2 nanoparticle/nanorod array for photoanode of dye-sensitized solar cell. Materials Chemistry and Physics 2021, 258 , 123893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2020.123893
- Xuelan Hou, Kerttu Aitola, Peter D. Lund. TiO 2 nanotubes for dye‐sensitized solar cells—A review. Energy Science & Engineering 2020, 70 https://doi.org/10.1002/ese3.831
- Lixin Song, Piaopiao Chen, Zhaowu Li, Pingfan Du, Yefeng Yang, Ni Li, Jie Xiong. Flexible carbon nanotubes/TiO2/C nanofibrous film as counter electrode of flexible quasi-solid dye-sensitized solar cells. Thin Solid Films 2020, 711 , 138307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2020.138307
- Yudong Xue, Yunting Wang. A review of the α-Fe 2 O 3 (hematite) nanotube structure: recent advances in synthesis, characterization, and applications. Nanoscale 2020, 12 (20) , 10912-10932. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0NR02705G
- Han Zhou, Chengyu Xiao, Zhiwei Yang, Yijia Du. 3D structured materials and devices for artificial photosynthesis. Nanotechnology 2020, 31 (28) , 282001. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ab85ea
- Chao Wang, Daichuan Ma, Xinsheng Li, Daibing Luo, Liangzhuan Wu. An electroless-plating-like solution approach for the preparation of [email protected] 2 @Ag core–shell spheres. RSC Advances 2020, 10 (16) , 9341-9346. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9RA10624C