Reaction Kinetics and Mechanism of Copper(II) Catalyzed Oxidative Deamination and Decarboxylation of Ornithine by Peroxomonosulfate
- Paramasivam Suresh Kumar ,
- Radhakrishnan Mohan Raj ,
- Srinivasalu Kutti Rani , and
- Deivanayagam Easwaramoorthy
Copper(II) catalyzed and uncatalyzed oxidation of ornithine by peroxomonosulfate (PMS) was studied in acetic acid–sodium acetate buffered medium (pH 3.6–5.2). The catalyzed reaction was 2.6 times faster than the uncatalyzed reaction. The catalytic constant kc obtained in this study was 0.15 mol–1 dm3 s–1. A negative value of entropy of activation obtained in this reaction revealed that the transition state was more rigid than the reactants. ESR spectral data ruled out the participation of free radical intermediate. Cyclic voltammetric and absorption studies confirmed the formation of copper–ornithine–PMS complex. HPLC analysis revealed that the product formed in this reaction was 4-aminobutanal, which was confirmed by NMR spectra.
This article is cited by 6 publications.
- Shan Tang, Michael Rauch, Michael Montag, Yael Diskin-Posner, Yehoshoa Ben-David, David Milstein. Catalytic Oxidative Deamination by Water with H2 Liberation. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2020, 142 (49) , 20875-20882. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.0c10826
- Lihong Wang, Haodan Xu, Ning Jiang, Zimeng Wang, Jin Jiang, Tao Zhang. Trace Cupric Species Triggered Decomposition of Peroxymonosulfate and Degradation of Organic Pollutants: Cu(III) Being the Primary and Selective Intermediate Oxidant. Environmental Science & Technology 2020, 54 (7) , 4686-4694. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c00284
- Monika Bhardwaj, Shifali Chib, Loveleena Kaur, Amit Kumar, Bhabatosh Chaudhuri, Fayaz Malik, Ram A. Vishwakarma, Saurabh Saran, Debaraj Mukherjee. Conversion of amino acids to aryl/heteroaryl ethanol metabolites using human CYP2D6-expressing live baker's yeast. RSC Medicinal Chemistry 2020, 11 (1) , 142-147. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9MD00451C
- Hye-Jin Lee, Hyung-Eun Kim, Min Sik Kim, Charles-François de Lannoy, Changha Lee. Inactivation of bacterial planktonic cells and biofilms by Cu(II)-activated peroxymonosulfate in the presence of chloride ion. Chemical Engineering Journal 2020, 380 , 122468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2019.122468
- Nuo Yang, Jiaxin Cui, Lieyu Zhang, Wei Xiao, Akram N Alshawabkeh, Xuhui Mao. Iron electrolysis-assisted peroxymonosulfate chemical oxidation for the remediation of chlorophenol-contaminated groundwater. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology 2016, 91 (4) , 938-947. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.4659
- Mohit L. Deb, Choitanya Dev Pegu, Paran J. Borpatra, Pranjal K. Baruah. Copper catalyzed oxidative deamination of Betti bases: an efficient approach for benzoylation/formylation of naphthols and phenols. RSC Advances 2016, 6 (46) , 40552-40559. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6RA04567G