Well-Defined All-Conducting Block Copolymer Bilayer Hybrid Nanostructure: Selective Positioning of Lithium Ions and Efficient Charge Collection
A block copolymerization of nonfunctionalized conducting monomers was developed to enable the successful synthesis of a highly insoluble 3,4-(ethylenedioxy)thienyl-based all-conducting block copolymer (PEDOT-b-PEDOT-TB) that could encapsulate nanocrystalline dyed TiO2 particles, resulting in the formation of an all-conducting block copolymer bilayer hybrid nanostructure (TiO2/Dye/PEDOT-b-PEDOT-TB). Lithium ions were selectively positioned on the outer PEDOT-TB surface. The distances through which the positively charged dye and PEDOT-TB(Li+) interacted physically or through which the TiO2 electrode and the Li+ centers on PEDOT-TB(Li+) interacted ionically were precisely tuned and optimized within ca. 1 nm by controlling the thickness of the PEDOT blocking layer (the block length). The optimized structure provided efficient charge collection in an iodine-free dye-sensitized solar cell (DSC) due to negligible recombination of photoinduced electrons with cationic species and rapid charge transport, which improved the photovoltaic performance (η = 2.1 → 6.5%).
This article is cited by 10 publications.
- Sharon Sharick, Jason Koski, Robert A. Riggleman, and Karen I. Winey . Isolating the Effect of Molecular Weight on Ion Transport of Non-Ionic Diblock Copolymer/Ionic Liquid Mixtures. Macromolecules 2016, 49 (6) , 2245-2256. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.macromol.5b02445
- In Young Song, Minjun Kim, and Taiho Park . Effect of Ion-Chelating Chain Lengths in Thiophene-Based Monomers on in Situ Photoelectrochemical Polymerization and Photovoltaic Performances. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7 (21) , 11482-11489. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b02411
- Jongmin Choi, Gyeongho Kang, and Taiho Park . A Competitive Electron Transport Mechanism in Hierarchical Homogeneous Hybrid Structures Composed of TiO2 Nanoparticles and Nanotubes. Chemistry of Materials 2015, 27 (4) , 1359-1366. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm504516n
- Wenyuan Yan, Qinghua Liu, Yanan Li, Jinhua Ou. High-efficiency polymer solar cells controlled by photoelectrochemically formed ordered polythiophene active layers with various thicknesses. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry 2020, 398 , 112627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2020.112627
- Pawel W Majewski, Kevin G Yager. Rapid ordering of block copolymer thin films. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 2016, 28 (40) , 403002. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/28/40/403002
- Gyeongho Kang, Jongmin Choi, Taiho Park. Pt-Free Counter Electrodes with Carbon Black and 3D Network Epoxy Polymer Composites. Scientific Reports 2016, 6 (1) https://doi.org/10.1038/srep22987
- Guan-Woo Kim, Gyeongho Kang, Jinseck Kim, Gang-Young Lee, Hong Il Kim, Limok Pyeon, Jaechol Lee, Taiho Park. Dopant-free polymeric hole transport materials for highly efficient and stable perovskite solar cells. Energy & Environmental Science 2016, 9 (7) , 2326-2333. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6EE00709K
- Jian Shu, Zhenli Qiu, Qiaohua Wei, Junyang Zhuang, Dianping Tang. Cobalt-Porphyrin-Platinum-Functionalized Reduced Graphene Oxide Hybrid Nanostructures: A Novel Peroxidase Mimetic System For Improved Electrochemical Immunoassay. Scientific Reports 2015, 5 (1) https://doi.org/10.1038/srep15113
- Chuanjie Cheng, Xiongxiong Bai, Xu Zhang, Ming Chen, Qinghua Huang, Zhongyu Hu, Yuanming Tu. Facile synthesis of block copolymers from a cinnamate derivative by combination of AGET ATRP and click chemistry. Macromolecular Research 2014, 22 (12) , 1306-1311. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13233-014-2180-0
- Jongchul Lim, Taewan Kim, Taiho Park. Fast cascade neutralization of an oxidized sensitizer by an in situ-generated ionic layer of I − species on a nanocrystalline TiO 2 electrode. Energy Environ. Sci. 2014, 7 (12) , 4029-4034. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4EE01950D